Build & Review: Emhar #5004: 1/72 WW1 British Mk A “Whippet” Medium Tank (1918)

I’d been wanting to have a crack at some WW1 armour for a while and this looked an ideal starting point.

The kit

103601-11185This is the first Emhar kit I’ve bought. It wasn’t expensive at around £7 from my local model shop. I’d been wanting to have a crack at some WW1 armour for a while and this looked an ideal starting point.

There’s not much to the kit, the tracks and sides are practically one piece. I was worried this would make painting the tracks tricky but that didn’t turn out to be a problem.

Everything went together using Tamiya Extra-Thin in an hour or so. There are no visible injector marks or gaps to fill. The gun barrels peaking out of the turret are delicate and I had to re-attach mine a couple of time when I clumsily knocked them off.

sprue1

Painting the Whippet

I don’t fuss too much over accuracy of paint colours. So long as it looks ‘the right sort of green’ or ‘dunklegelbish’ I’m happy. I tend to weather my vehicles and there are a million other factors that affect the look of something, so I don’t don’t loose any sleep over it.

I started with an undercoat of Poundland grey car primer. This is my go-to primer at the moment. Cheap, works. Each can does 2 or 3 1/72 models.

I pre shaded black along the joints and panel lines, anywhere a shadow may fall and base coated using Tamiya flat green, focusing on the center of the panels and fading out towards the edges.

Next was a faint highlight of Vallejo green again focusing on the center of panels and feathering out towards the edges.

The tracks were base coated dark rust brown. I wasn’t too bothered about a rust overspray near the tracks as this is an area where rust would naturally occur.

Next I gloss coated the whole model with Vallejo gloss ready for decalling.

Thankfully, there weren’t too many decals (one of the reasons I prefer AFV’s) but a few had to be settled into place over some prominent protrusions. Several soakings in Micro Sol later and I was happy with the results.

I let the decals thoroughly dry and gave the whole thing a matt coat of Vallejo Matt varnish to seal it.

I didn’t want to go overboard with the weathering so stuck to a light chipping using Vallejo black brown and a piece of sponge to dab along the worn edges. Then I gave the whole thing a wash of Winsor and Newton Burnt Umber, diluted in Sansodor and let it dry overnight.

Once it was dry, I used Sansodor and cotton buds to clean off the wash from the center of all the panels leaving the oil paint in the cracks and around the rivets.

Finally, I used vallejo rust colours to pick out the exhaust and detailed the guns with a black base coat and gun metal drybrush. Lastly came a dull coat of Vallejo Matt varnish to seal everything in and give it a bit of protection.

I took it outside on a glorious sunny day and managed to get a few shots I’m happy with.

Overall

Nice, cheap little kit that’s simple to build with good detail.

4/5

Subscribe and get email notifications whenever new content is added.

0 comments on “Build & Review: Emhar #5004: 1/72 WW1 British Mk A “Whippet” Medium Tank (1918)Add yours →

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *