Build and Review: Roden #727 1/72 Selbstfahrlafette auf Fahrgestell Vomag 7 or 660 mit 8,8 cm Flak

The Kit

I’d had my eye on this Vomag kit for a while now. So when it came up on ebay at a bargain price I snapped it up.

The kit from Roden fit together easily with no issues or flash. There are some delicate and small parts so pay attention and take your time.

 

 

I started with the engine. A nicely detailed little unit.

I fancied stretching myself a bit with some wiring. The real Vomag engine wiring doesn’t look like this, so history/automobile buffs look away. It does illustrate the principle though.

First I drilled some receiving holes with a .25mm twist drill bit.

… and then attached a couple of twisted strands of electrical wire I pulled from an old cable with a tiny blob of superglue.

Next, I tackled the fold down side grills. The grill plastic is that odd stuff that won’t glue with regular model glue. I used a few dabs of superglue to get it to hold and then filled in the missing bits with more superglue applied on a cocktail stick.

Once it had dried I cut around them with an exacto blade. I took three of four shallow cuts so as not to strain the grill or frame.

Remember I said it some bits were delicate? I snapped one of the canopy poles so had to back a replacement from thin plastic rod.

Next I installed the engine on the chassis.

The rest of the bodywork went together in good order.

Next I tackled the 88 flak mounted on the back. The 2 halves didn’t quite match up even with clamping.

So I used a little White Putty to fill the gaps and sanded it smooth.

I test fitted it to the back.

I wanted to model the engine exposed to show of my wiring, so after finding a few pictures of Vomags with the side panels off, I set about cutting the kit parts to allow access with a razor saw. There’s a visible panel line where the cut should be, which is handy.

And test fitted it all in place.

I cleaned up everything else ready for painting.

The Paint

After a dark grey undercoat and black preshade, I gave it a base coat of German grey. I planned to give it a bit of colour later with a dot filter. I painted the seats leather brown.

I picked out the engine using gun metal & chrome metallics.

I gloss coated the whole thing and gave it a brown – almost black wash to contrast against the dark bodywork.

I let it dry and then cleaned most of it off with some odourless thinners and a cotton bud.

I let that dry for a full 24 hours under the lights as the next layer is a dot filter and I didn’t want to disturb the previous oil deposits too much.

As the name implies, I dotted tiny spots of blue, white & black all over the bodywork and then, using a damp, flat brush I dragged it down the sides, and in the direction of rain water falling off. I repeated the process until only a hint of the dot colours remained.

I left the underneath dirty brown and only cleaned it off a few raised surfaces. As undersides go, it’s one of the more interesting ones. Shame you never see it…

I applied a dot filter to the 88 in the same way.

I drybrushed the grills with gun metal.

All that remained was to attach the stabilisers.

And add some dirt pigments in the obvious places.

And it was done.

I didn’t have any dio plans for this model. So I’ve put it on the shelf as is until inspiration strikes. There’s a lot of flat open space on this model that is calling out for stowage or a flag draped over it.

I took it outside for some daylight shots and also tried out a lightbox.

(Yes, I know some of the supports are floating, I’ll chock them up on wooden blocks when I finally put it on a dio 😉 )

Subscribe and get email notifications whenever new content is added.

0 comments on “Build and Review: Roden #727 1/72 Selbstfahrlafette auf Fahrgestell Vomag 7 or 660 mit 8,8 cm FlakAdd yours →

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *