This is a relatively new tooling from Revell. It was originally released in 2013 and then re-issued with new parts in 2014.
It’s up to Revell’s usual standard for it’s modern 1/72 armour – good enough for me (I’m definitely not a rivet counter) and builds into a nicely detailed little kit.
There are few push pin marks but thankfully all hidden once the kit is built.
The instructions were simple to follow, but there are a lot of small parts. The plastic Revell have used is forgiving, but don’t rely on that 😉
The build progressed quickly with no real problems…
Until I was mercilessly sniped by the dreaded Carpet Monster!
I lost one of the wheels >.<
Fortunately, I had some room temperature vulcanising rubber and some 2 part resin so I made up a quick plastic card frame…
Lightly glued the pieces to the bottom.
And cast 2 sets of wheels (front and back).
The first cast gave me a couple of successful pieces to work with (which is why I made more than one wheel 😉 )
And after a bit of clean up..
I then had 2 halves that I sanded the backs off to get the desired wheel width.
Glued the halves together and fitted them to the tank. I chose to sit them on the end (all the wheels are identical) so as not to have 2 real wheels either side highlighting any differences. There aren’t any I can see, but you know…
If I were to do this again, I’d try and cast the wheel in one piece. It was very laborious sanding the halves to the correct thickness.
I test fitted the main assemblies: Turret, top & base + tracks).
So, the tracks. They are plastic link n length. I hate ’em. I can never get them to fit on the sprockets correctly. I’m thankful the side skirt armour covers most of them.
I started with my usual (but I’m switching to UMP Primer having had a play with it) Poundland car primer. Giving it an all over undercoat of base grey.
Here’s my weapons of choice for the modern urban colour scheme.
First a black pre-shade. There’s a craze going round the facebook and youtube builders for the black and white technique. This is how I’ve always done it, I should trade mark the “Grey and Black Technique” 😉
Base coat of Russian green. Trying to hit the centre of the million individual panels and fade out to the edges.
Next came the white camo. My airbrush was a bit spitty but I manage to cover that with weathering later. Covering up your mistakes is a primary scale model building skill 😉
Next I black-lined the white camo – this also helps cover up the spitty white.
I use an H&S Ultra airbrush with a .25 (I think? It’s been a while since I’ve changed it) needle and nozzle. I splashed out and got the pinch tip (worth it). Here’s something to get an idea of size.
I gloss coated where the (few) decals would go. This helps stop silvering as it gives the decals a very flat surface to settle on expelling any air. A dose of decal softing solution helps them to conform to any odd shapes.
Next I chipped the paintwork using a piece of sponge dipped in German black brown. My goto chipping colour. I tried to focus the chipping over the leading edges and areas of most use. This stage also helped mask the spitty white.
Once I was happy with the chipping, I sealed the whole model with gloss varnish.
And let it dry thoroughly.
I mixed up a dark brown, fairly thick oil wash and gave the whole kit a going over
Once that had dried, I cleaned off the majority of the wash from the flat surfaces with odourless thinners and sealed it with a matt varnish.
We had a rare day of sun, so I popped outside and took a few snaps.
Oh, this is the replacement wheel:
I finally made a dio…