Build & Review: Italeri #7513 : Fast Assembly 1/72 M7 Priest

The Kit

This has been sat in my stash for a while ever since I spotted it in a local model shop.

Two 1/72 M7 Priest / Kangaroo kits for £11? I was intrigued to find out how good or bad they were!

These are very simple kits to build. They are designed for wargamers who want to get their kits into play with the minimal of fuss.

You get two identical sprues so you have the option to build 2 Priests, 2 Kangaroos or 1 of each. There are decals for all options.

The kit comes with a standing figure looking through binoculars. It’s a very nice sculpt for 1/72!

Apart from the shonkey hand / binoculars which totally ruin the figure. Especially as figures tend to be viewed from above due to their small size. He looks like a Star Wars Sand Person.

I’ve got some other (Caeser’s Miniatures) WW2 US figures in the stash if I need them so onto the kit.

Detail wise, it looks and feels a bit chunky. Not dreadfully bad though, and the chunkyness is uniform so it doesn’t look bad when assembled.

It’s a simple looking vehicle in real life and Italeria have only added detail where it’ll be seen. There’s no controls in the drivers compartment for example.

There’s minimal flash but there are one or two mould lines that need sanding out.

The pieces are very robust which is a good thing as they are firmly attached to the sprues. You’ll need a sprue cutter to get them off.

The Build

The model is pretty much snap together so I assembled the main parts. The tracks and wheels are all one piece and clip onto the base. The top and bottom also clip together, so I assembled the interior in the bottom half and left them separate for painting.

The only ‘scratch’ work I did was to hollow out the end of the barel with a 1mm drill and pin vice.

The Paint

After my usual poundland primer undercoat, I preshaded the whole kit with Tamiya black. My H&S Ultra airbrush was playing up a little (I found a tiny kink on the tip of my .2 needle – replacement ordered) so the preshade looks a bit slap-dash.

Next I gave the whole model a base coat of Tamiya Olive Drab (XF-62). The airbrush was a little better behaved this time.

I broke off a bit of sponge, and using Vallejo black brown I stippled chipping along the edges and over places of most wear.

I picked out the few exterior details using Lifecolour weathered wood and tamiya gun metal.

and gave the metallic parts a cover of Tamiya Smoke.

I let that dry and then gave the whole model a coat of Vallejo Gloss and applied the few decals. There are a couple of decal options, I chose the US version.

The star for the left hand side proved problematic. There is a cable moulded into the side of the Priest that should go over the decal!

I ended up applying the decal whole, moving it into position then cutting out a 1mm sliver from the star with a brand new Xacto blade on the model! A risky strategy but it worked.

A number of reference photo’s showed the placement of the decals to be open to interpretation so I added another big star to the gunners turret on the right hand side as it was looking a bit sparse.

I then gave the whole model a thick black/brown oil wash and left it to dry.

Once the oil wash had dried. I cleaned off the majority of it with thinners and sealed it with a coat of Vallejo matt varnish.

Once that had dried, I ran a light Olive Drab drybrush over the flat surfaces to simulate a bit of wear and it was done.

I took it outside for some daylight photos. All in all simple to assemble kit that builds into a reasonable representation of a Priest. It wouldn’t win any competition prizes but is more than adequate for its intended role of cheap wargames pieces.

I got an urge to use the other model in the box as a burned out wreck, the lack of details won’t be such an issue there.

Subscribe and get email notifications whenever new content is added.

0 comments on “Build & Review: Italeri #7513 : Fast Assembly 1/72 M7 PriestAdd yours →

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *