RichBuilds.com

Build & Review: Games Workshop Troglodon

First things first: This isn’t my usual Build & Review. I’ve returned to figure painting after decades of lost mojo (I used to paint and get paid for it and it killed that part of the hobby for me). I am not an expert, I don’t know what I’m doing, I’m making it up as I go along.

After a visit to Warhammer World over the Christmas break, I picked up a box of Space marines and found some time to sit and play with some paint. I think they came out Ok for such a rusty brush.

(Here’s the build log for the TT Combat Lincoln building they’re exploring…)

I’ve never been much of a sci-fi wargamer, so I looked at what Age of Sigmar had to offer. A starter set of Stormcast eternals later and I realised I didn’t want to paint an army of them…

I painted up some Pox Walkers while I pondered further and gave me a chance to play with Army Painter Quickshades…

Eventually, having checked out each of the army choices, I settled on… Seraphon. They’re effectively a small horde army, and best of all they’re dinosaurs! On Dinosaurs!

I picked up the Seraphon Start Collecting box from my local GW (and ordered the floating space frog).

The Build

I’m not a massive fan of the blue, not when there are so many fantastic lizard colour schemes out there – and after a quick chat with the local GW to confirm they don’t *have* to be blue, I set off assembling.

I’ve started with the big fella who comes with three variants in the box (leaving you with scratchbuilding spares). I chose the Troglodon variant so I can have the Carnosaur’s rider as an optional foot soldier/boss.

Assembly is pretty straight forward. I clipped each piece as I needed it from the sprue and tidied them with a knife. *Most* of the seams and mould lines are well hidden amongst the scales and folds, a few (which I didn’t notice until later) aren’t.

I used Tamiya extra thin to glue the pieces. Dry fitting and then running the glue along the inside of the join.

Once assembled. I put it aside to let the glue fully cure for an hour or so. It’s a big piece and I didn’t want any bits coming astray while I handled it.

The Paint

I undercoated it with UMP Grey primer shot through the UMP Apex Airbrush, thinned with UMP thinner and cleaned with UMP cleaner. Worth pointing out: I don’t get sponsored by UMP – everything is bought and paid for. I get reliable, repeatable results with it – that’s why I use it.

I gave the primer a few minutes to cure and then shot Vallejo Off White from the top to pick out the high spots and start the shading…

 

I let the white dry and then picked out some paints.

I want my army beasts to look wild, practically untamed so using photos of crocodiles and alligators for reference. Their muted, earthy tones should set of the brightly coloured riders too!

I shot Tamiya Desert Yellow over all the flat skin areas.

I built it up in light layers so the white highlights could shine through and raise the brightness on the high spots.

Next I sprayed Vallejo Khaki green over the large scales.

It went on a little thicker than I planned so I lost some of the highlights. No worries, I can fix it in post 😉

I sprayed the remainder of the scales with Tamiya deck brown and dragged it down the flanks to give it some stripes.

I let these base coats dry for a while and broke out my set of Army Painter Quickshades. They are quite frankly, witchcraft.

I used the flesh tone over the belly and the soft tone over the spines.

While it was still wet, I dosed the scales with Green tone and blended where the two washes met.

While that was still wet, I picked out the brown areas with dark shade and blended where the shades met. You have to work quick!

I left the washes to dry overnight and the next day I began picking out the details.

I gave some of the straps a base coat of Tamiya Desert Yellow. And used the same colour to pick out the horns, teeth and talons.

I then highlighted them with Vallejo Off White.

A wash with soft tone gave them the look I was after…

I picked out all the medallions and the colar with Tamiya Gold leaf.

And gave the gold a couple of washes with Soft tone…

To bring back the scale highlights. I used a *very* faint drybrush of desert yellow over the most raised areas.

It’s quite a large figure and I was starting to get scuff marks from holding it in my hands so I turned my attention to the base.

I chopped up some bits of extruded polystyrene into rough blocks.

And used an exacto blade to inscribe some Aztec’y symbols. I opened the cuts with a blunted cocktail stick and bashed it a rough rock to give it some texture.

I stuck them to the base with some PVA.

And filled in the gaps with cat litter, budgie grit and sand held in place with PVA.

I let the base dry overnight and the next day, now I could hold the base without touching the figure I picked out the last of the details. Starting with the feathers and beads.

I gave the base a coat of desert yellow, and when that had dried I washed it with a mix of desert yellow and deck brown to darken it.

Once that had fully dried, I dry brushed a mix of off white and desert yellow over the groundwork to pick out the edges.

I few clumps of static grass wedged into cracks and crevices finished off the base and I was done.

The Result.

Very happy with the results. Learned a lot along the way. Next up the rider!

Addendum

Rider getting some colours…

And out in the sunlight…

Materials

 
 

 

(Visited 1,883 times, 1 visits today)
Subscribe and get email notifications whenever new content is added.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.