Jagtiger closeup

Build & Review: Dragon #7250: 1/72 Sd.Kfz.186 Jagtiger Porche Version

The Kit

C_DRA7250_00A recent ISM SIG featured the any tank hunter as it’s subject. I chose the Jagtiger having remembered seeing a black and white photo on Armorama of a captured Jagtiger on the back of a US Dragon Wagon.


This would be my subject. The Jag looks undamaged but very battered. So much so, the number (130) can barely be seen on the side of the turret. I’ll leave the Dragon Wagon build for another post. Lets talk kits.

The kit I chose was the Dragon Sd.Kfz.186 Jagtiger Porche Version (#7250) I doubt its the exact model of tank in the photo but this was a cheap buy and looks close enough for me.

The kit comes with a fret of photoetch grills that add a nice bit of detail to the back of the tank.

I picked up a metal barrel (something I’ll always try to do in future after the plastic arrel of my Bradley broke during the built. This was a couple of quid from ebay:

The rest of the kit, like the tank is pretty plain. Looks a real beast when it’s built though! Lets get sticking…

The Build

The kit assembles quickly as it’s basically a box with a barrel sticking out of it.

And it didn’t take long till it was fully assembled and primed ready for painting. If I built this again, I’ll leave the side skirts off until I put the tracks on. You live and learn.

The Paint

This build gave me a chance to try one of my birthday presents from the Pricks of Plastic. The mig Early German Colour set.

I really wanted to heavily weather this one and it so I started with a black pre shade.

Then a base coat of dunklegelv following my usual style of focusing on the center of panels and feathering out towards the edges.

Next came some free-hand dunklevert patches. There’s not much contrast between the mig colours.

And finally, dunklebrun. I wasn’t super careful as I intended to weather most of the paint so any bits I wasn’t happy with could be hidden later.

Next I applied the decals. Once I had them in place I tore and scratched them away with the tip of a No.10 blade.

Next, I heavily chipped the whole vehicle using Vallejo black brown applied with a sponge. Any edge that could be chipped, got chipped! You can barely make out the decals but they’re there!

Next I gave it a gloss coat and mixed a very dark burnt umber and black oil wash which I applied thickly all over the model.

Once the oil wash had dried, I cleaned it from the centre of panels with thinners and cotton bud, dragging the cotton bud down the sides to encourage streaking. I also attached the wheels and tracks. I ended up using cotton to stitch the tracks together and will be using that technique with flexible tracks again in future.

I gave it a matt coat to seal in the oil wash and to ready the surface for the next bit of weathering.

I used a very soft 2B pencil to scratch the very edges of anything that might get dinged. It’s a subtle effect but works well to simulate exposed scuffed metal. It catches the light just enough to give it a thick metal feel.

Now I turned my attention to the rear. A few black oil stains and brown grease stains added some interest.

And onto the exhausts.

I took inspiration for the exhausts from Paul@ISM’s 1/35 Jagtiger build and was verry happy with the results.

Lastly, I dusted the whole model with AK pigments. I wanted it to look like it had been involved in heavy urban fighting.

All in all, a solid little kit and one that will look great on the back of a Dragon Wagon!


(Visited 887 times, 1 visits today)
Subscribe and get email notifications whenever new content is added.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.